[MacTUG] Different energy consumptions depending on how 'sleep' is initiated

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 12:33:21 EST 2008

Hi Don,

Definitely try and help here as much as possible. :-)

I have one of those Kill-A-Watts as well. It's been a great help for me.
Official specs for Apple hardware are at http://www.apple.com/environment/resources/specs.html

Your examples look very reasonable to me.  The 40w entry would be the
display
turning off but the CPU and drive are still running. This is called
idle mode.

Power supply maximum continuous power rating 200 W

Mode			100V	115V	230V
Off			1.44 W	1.46 W	1.43 W
Sleep – WOL off		1.92 W	1.98 W	2.02 W
Sleep – WOL on		2.27 W	2.37 W	2.40 W
Idle – Display off	48.7 W	48.7W	47.9 W
Idle – Display on	85.4 W	84.4 W	82.3 W

WOL = Wake On LAN support.

Also have a look at this article...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

PMSET commands (note: must be run as run as root)
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html

I do hope this helps.

Steve