[MacTUG] (no subject)

dsmccrac at envmail.uwaterloo.ca dsmccrac at envmail.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 6 11:03:20 EST 2008

Hi Guys

I am hoping that Steve H. is still reading these postings as an Apple
Engineer could likely help me out.

As part of our green computing initiatives, I am looking at ensuring our
macs are sleeping when not in use. We have bought some great little
devices that provide realtime energy use ("kill-a-watt power monitor" only
$30 each! http://store.greengadgets.ca/products/P4400.html) and one thing
I have noticed is that how the mac is put to sleep radically alters its
energy use.

For example

~80 watts -- Regular consumption of a 20" newer imac
~40 watts -- computer goes to sleep on its own via settings in energy
saver control panel (set up to have the display, and the cpu go to sleep
and the hard drive to stop whenever possible)
~02 watts -- (yes 2 watts!) put the computer to sleep manually from the
apple menu or the "Are you sure you want to shut down..." dialog box
~02 watts -- put the computer to sleep remotely using Remote Desktop

As you can see, this is a radical difference in energy use!

What I want is to not have to rely on Remote Desktop. I would like to use
the energy saver settings and tweak them using the "pmset" command. I have
been playing with it to no avail.

Does anyone -- Ahhem, Steve -- have any suggestions?

Thanks
(former mactugger) Don
Note to Glenn: This is a duplicate of a message sent yesterday from my
connect email address that mailman did not let through. Obviously you do
not need to approve that message, but allowing
dsmccrac at connect.uwaterloo.ca in the future would be nice ;-)