[MacTUG] Bootcamp issue with large window xp hard drives partition

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Thu May 22 09:12:41 EDT 2008

Hi Ed.

Google for "Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll"

I think you find that this is an error seen on several Windows XP
installs (not just BootCamp).  The articles don't really seem to
explain why just that is occurs when an install file is corrupted.
(You may want to try a different Windows XP SP2 installer.)

> That's most commonly a boot.ini problem. Not sure how it works in
> Bootcamp or Parallels, but on Windows boxes you would boot to the
> Windows disk and start the recovery console, then type:
> Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
> DEL C:\Boot.ini
> BootCfg /Rebuild
> Fixboot
>
> or you may have to copy the hal.dll file from the install disk, like
> this:
>
> Enter the recovery console and type:
> expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d:
> for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file
> type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=432009

Just seem like a normal Windows PC support issue that pops up from
time to time.  Remember when you reboot into Windows XP with BootCamp
you now under the full control of Windows XP and all normal Windows XP
issues, troubleshooting, etc... apply.

Steve

Not sure it's replaced to partition size.