[MacTUG] Mac OS X 10.5 Install DVD won't install on a MacBook

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Thu May 1 19:24:25 EDT 2008

Glen did the MacBook come with 10.5.x install disk?  If yes use that
as it will have updated drivers for that hardware.

Generic 10.5.0 DVD comes in two flavours.

- Retail box is Full install for machine which were released prior to
10.5.
- Update only install which will only upgrade a 10.4.x machine. (this
was sometimes inserted into Mac boxes siting in warehouses at the time
we released 10.5. It was the free update DVD. It won't however install
on a clean hard drive.

There is no "Universal" install.  It's always the DVD that ships with
the machine.

We don't use serial number checking like Windows. Instead we build DVD
for each type of Mac.

Hence always keep you install disk that come with the machine.  If
lost an order can be place to replace original DVD via service (aka UW
computerstore).

Steve