[MacTUG] Can't mount a volume

Richard Crispin rcrispin at sju-serv1.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 26 13:08:24 EDT 2008

Hi All
I had to quickly implement an OS X Leopard server and in the process I
have somehow set things so I can no longer mount another volume on the
server. The volumes show up in Disk Util but they cannot be mounted.
This is true for an internal drive, firewire drive or usb stick. Disk
Util says to run repair and try again. No errors are found and the
drives still do not mount. If I boot from an install CD then everything
can be mounted. This is on an original X Serve (g4 1.25 GHz with
screaming fans). I have gone back and looked at the settings and cannot
figure out what I have done.

When I look at the top directory of the server (sudo ls -al) I get this
listing (partial):
drwxr-xr-x@  2 root      wheel           68 Sep 24  2007 .vol
drwxrwxr-x+ 33 root      admin         1122 Aug 21 08:41 Applications
-rw-r--r--@  1 root      admin         1024 Aug 23 13:51 Desktop DB
-rw-r--r--@  1 root      admin            2 Aug 23 13:28 Desktop DF
-rw-r--r--@  1 rcrispin  staff      1680908 Aug 21 08:24 FMS 9 Installer Log
drwxrwxr-x   3 rcrispin  admin          102 Aug 21 07:08 Groups
drwxrwxr-t+ 59 root      admin         2006 Aug 21 08:41 Library
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root      wheel          102 Aug 22 07:50 Network
drwxrwxr-x   4 rcrispin  admin          136 Aug 21 16:45 Shared Items
drwxr-xr-x   4 root      wheel          136 Aug 21 07:31 System
drwxr-xr-x   8 root      admin          272 Aug 21 13:27 Users
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root      wheel            1 Aug 22 07:50 Volumes

It clearly indicates that "Volumes" is a directory. When I do a cd
I get:
sh-3.2# cd Volumes
sh: cd: Volumes: No such file or directory

When I use chmod to try and change permissions I get the same error.

I have tried all sorts of permutations of the ls (e.g. -Ael@)command to
try and figure out what is going on but nothing has yielded a clue.

I cannot figure out what I have done to cause this. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Richard
--

Richard Crispin
Information Systems Admin   e-mail:rcrispin at sju.uwaterloo.ca
St. Jerome's University     phone:Days (519)884-8111 ext. 28260
290 Westmount Rd. N         FAX:(519)725-0015
Waterloo, Ont.  N2L 3G3
Canada
---
When I die I'd like to die the way my grandfather died, peacefully in
    his sleep...      ... not screaming and shouting, like his passengers.
"Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!" Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales
"Time, heat and pressure.
   The same things that make a diamond also make a waffle." Scott Meyer
"Every morning is the dawn of a new error." unknown