[MacTUG] Spaces - popup alert/attention dialog windows how to find them?

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Tue Apr 22 10:40:18 EDT 2008

Hi Glenn,

Try this... With spaces activated

In iCal set an event to happen a few minutes from your current time
and day. Then set an alarm to happen 1 minute before the event with a
message.  Now switch spaces away from the space iCal is running in. I
think you will notice that it will pop-up the event warning in your
current working space and overtop of all windows.

So as you will see it's not really an problem with Space or OS but
more with application and/or version or perhaps the low priority
nature of the notification.

Does the application icon bounce or other animation indicating that
application needs attention?  This is something the developers can
support. It would be near impossible to work around an alert when
doesn't seem to be notifying user.

Regarding "second problem"... (and I think if your application
supported bouncing icon notification the second would not really be a
problem.)

Spaces application is designed really as a way for your to quickly
switch spaces or more importantly to move/reorganize applications
quickly from one space to another.   Basic Application windows are
shown for this purpose; however, I think you will find dialog boxes
(and there are several types of these) won't appear likely because
they are a special case. It's a good feature request and you should
submit to as such to http://bugreporter.apple.com/ as a feature
request to show alert dialog boxes in spaces application.

You didn't say which application this occurred with or the
circumstance of the alert so my best advice is to email or submit a
feature request with developer asking them to support icon alerts with
default bouncing or could be other animation.

Work arounds...
-Update application to latest version.
-Try another application.
-Email developer of your application and ask them support dock
notification under the circumstance you desire.
-You could buy a second monitor so that you can watch that application
all the time.

Growl is a possible work around but if a developer supported Growl API
they likely would animate icon to notify user of an event if Growl is
not installed. Developers that support Growl API are usually quite
savy this way.

We have not published an API to hook into Spaces. Given the low level
nature of Spaces we are desiring developers to stay away from this
area for security and stability reasons. As this is initial release of
Spaces we are very much open to suggestions for future versions but we
also need application developers to take advantage of the current
notification system available to them. Contacting the application
developer with your report is the best way to get this done properly.

Steve