[MacTUG] Server Admin Tools

Richard Crispin rcrispin at sju-serv1.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 31 16:35:54 EDT 2007

Some Relevent List Items from macos-x-server at lists.apple.com

------------------------------ Message: 6 Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007
06:35:20 -0500 From: Dave Schroeder <das at doit.wisc.edu> Subject: Re:
Unified Server Admin tool To: Marc Siskin <msiskin at andrew.cmu.edu> Cc:
Mac OS X Server list <Macos-x-server at lists.apple.com> Message-ID:
<E52226C1-20ED-4681-8105-A4B81531CB71 at doit.wisc.edu> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="us-ascii" On Oct 30, 2007, at 6:06 AM, Marc Siskin
wrote:

> > Is there a unified tool that will allow me to administer a mixed
> > group of Tiger and Panther servers?  The 10.5 server admin tool says
> > that my 10.4.10 servers are too old to administer.
> >
> > I can't downgrade to the 10.4 tools as they won't install on Leopard.
> >
> > What tool(s) are you using or going to use?

No mystery here.

You can get the required version of the admin tools by copying them
from any 10.4.10 server directly to a Leopard machine. They don't have
to be "installed" from their installer.

You can also use Apple Remote Desktop (or, Leopard's Screen Sharing
client) to connect to the remote server, and use the admin tools
directly on the console of the server.

Some of the 10.5 tools, such as Server Monitor, do work on remote
servers running, e.g., 10.4.x and 10.3.x.

- Dave
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 2398 bytes