[MacTUG] A fast way to speed up Mail.app

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 5 09:28:49 EST 2007

A faster way to speed up Mail.app

UPDATE: A number of posters in the comments have pointed out that it
is possible to run this command on just one line in the Terminal and
to leave some of it out. See the comments if you are interested in
more fancy ways to get the job done.

As everyone knows, it is possible to get quite a speed boost out of
Mail.app by stripping all the bloat out of its Envelope index, an
SQLite database Mail uses to store senders, recipients, subjects and
so on.

In a past Hawk Wings tip , I suggested that quitting Mail, deleting
the Envelope file and restarting Mail would force a rebuild that
produces a leaner, faster email experience.

In October last year Dallas noticed a faster way to get the same
result and posted it in the comments to that tip.

And there it remained until I noticed that Shaun Inman  (an
iCelebrity and developer of Mint  which counts the peeps on Hawk
Wings) had noticed it.

Here it is.

1. Quit Mail.

2. Open Terminal.

3. Type the following:

cd ~/Library/Mail
sqlite3 Envelope\ Index

An sqlite> prompt will appear.

At that prompt, type vacuum subjects;.

After a short delay, the prompt will return. Type Control-D to exit.

4. Restart Mail and enjoy the extra speed.