[MacTUG] Ten Things Your IT Department Won't Tell You

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 9 09:43:33 EDT 2007

Some common ways users can get around IT security. conveniently provided by an
online magazine.

It seems only fair, since our home computer is typically an office away from the
office. So in between typing up reports and poring over spreadsheets, we use our
office PCs to keep up with our lives. We do birthday shopping, check out funny
clips on YouTube and catch up with friends by email or instant message.

And often it's just easier to accomplish certain tasks using consumer technology
than using the sometimes clunky office technology our company gives us --
compare Gmail with a corporate email account.
Security expert Mark Lobel of PricewaterhouseCoopers describes the most common
things employees do on the internet to jeopardize company security.

There's only one problem with what we're doing: Our employers sometimes don't
like it. Partly, they want us to work while we're at work. And partly, they're
afraid that what we're doing compromises the company's computer network --
putting the company at risk in a host of ways. So they've asked their
information-technology departments to block us from bringing our home to work.

End of story? Not so fast. To find out whether it's possible to get around the
IT departments, we asked Web experts for some advice. Specifically, we asked
them to find the top 10 secrets our IT departments don't want us to know. How to
surf to blocked sites without leaving any traces, for instance, or carry on
instant-message chats without having to download software.

<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118539543272477927.html?mod=fpa_mostpop>