[MacTUG] Some Apps go faster under 10.4.8 it seems

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 4 10:09:51 EDT 2006

 From http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

October 3rd, 2006 -- Some Applications Go Faster Under The Latest OS
X Build. We tested some key apps just before and right after the
10.4.7 to 10.4.8 upgrade. Here's some interesting gains we saw:
DOOM 3: Low resolutions (640x480 High) ran 26% faster. We saw a 13%
gains with 1024x768 Medium (no Shadows). Reason? Multi-threaded
OpenGL is supported by Doom 3 in combination with the newest Tiger
release. Doom 3 is currently the only app we know that takes
advantage of this but don't be surprised to see patches for other
OpenGL apps to appear shortly.
PHOTOSHOP CS2: Our MP2 action file ran 11% faster. We assume there
are some improvements to Rosetta.