[MacTUG] AFP548 - Faking Filesystem Snapshots on Mac OS X Server

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed May 24 11:23:41 EDT 2006

Most other operating systems on the market allow you to make a
"snapshot" of a filesystem. Using these snapshots you can provide
easy access, and in many cases self-service access, to instant
backups of the files and folders. This functionality is usually part
of the filesystem and one that HFS, in its now numerous forms, does
not support. We can however fake it, and provide easy, self-servicing
access backups to our users on some shares, in some cases. We call it
the GhettoSnap.

<http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20060303070213402>