[MacTUG] Stats on a Mac

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 29 11:45:11 EDT 2006

I haven't tried SPSS under either of those options, but I did come
across this person's comment regarding Parallels and it seems he is
running SPSS fine.

"I installed Parallels on an Intel iMac recently. I created virtual
machines with Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and FreeDOS (no reason, just
because I can). All of them seem to work fine, except FreeDOS, but
then in my experience DOS never worked well on my parents' Tandy either.

I installed Windows XP today and everything seems just fine and
peppy. The IT guy who installed it commented that the installation
took less time than on some of the Dells he worked with. My favorite
part is the backup mechanism - I now have a fresh, no-spyware
installation of Windows XP with Matlab, SPSS, and Access all
installed. All of my documents will be stored on a Mac hard disk by a
shared folder. So I went to the Finder and made a copy of the disk
image, and when I want to revert to a fresh image, all I do is delete
the working hard drive, and rename "image copy" to "image" and I'm
back as good as new. 8)"

Note:  you may need to adjust some of parallel's setting to get
maximum performance with a package such as SPSS