[SSDC-Safety] SSDC Co-op forms

Stephen Karl Swartzentruber skswartz at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jun 23 18:49:57 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Peter and I have worked to update the co-op forms for hiring students. The intent has been to simplify the process. We have reduced the number of co-op related forms from three to two (one for the team, one for the co-op student). I have attached the forms to this email; they are also available on Sharepoint.

In summary:

  *   Previously, teams had been required to submit an "HSEMS Agreement" form prior to hiring co-op students. This has been merged with the Term Information Form.
  *   Both the Term Information Form and the Co-op Student Agreement have been updated to reflect the change from WHMIS 1988 to WHMIS 2015.
     *   For student supervisors and safety captains, this means you must complete WHMIS 2015 for staff through the online LEARN module.
  *   The "How to Hire a Co-op Student" document has been updated to reflect these changes.
     *   The HSEMS agreement has previously served as a "step 1" to initiate the hiring process. Under the new regiment, teams will have to consult with the Director prior to hiring any co-op students. Once approved, CECA will be notified and the job posting will be processed.

How do these changes affect your team:

  *   For the current Spring 2016 semester, use either the new or old forms. For the Fall 2016 semester, ensure you use the new forms.

Please let me or Peter know if you have any questions.

Stephen Swartzentruber