[quantum-info] Professorship in Glasgow

Norbert Lutkenhaus Office iqclutk at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 5 21:37:22 EDT 2022

Could you please post the following advertisement that was posted by Steve Barnett?

I write to ask you assistance by putting the word out to your contacts that we are seeking to
hire a new full professor in the area of quantum technologies.  Full details can be found on
our website:

https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/

and putting in the vacancy number 075087.

Please find, below, also, the text of the advertisement.  If any of your contacts would like
further information then I’d be pleased to talk or correspond with them.

We are seeking to appoint a Professor to provide leadership within the Centre for Quantum Technology to establish the University of Glasgow as an internationally recognised centre of excellence in quantum technology, from fundamental understanding through to translating world-changing technologies to generate societal and/or industrial impact.

The Centre at the University of Glasgow brings together physicists, engineers and computer scientists to tackle cutting-edge scientific and technological research and innovation in the area of Quantum Technology. This allows the Centre to play a fundamental role in the UK National Quantum Technology Programme; leading QuantIC, the UK Quantum Technology Hub in Imaging and participating in all four Quantum Technology Hubs in the UK programme.  In playing this role Glasgow draws upon its world class facilities in the James Watt Nanofabrication Centre.

The position requires an individual with a track record on delivering world class research in Quantum Technologies to develop and expand on existing strengths in the Centre. The post holder will establish a new research group in computationally assisted quantum imaging/sensing working at the interface of hardware and algorithm design,  but other areas relating to our quantum research at the University of Glasgow WILL also be considered.

The post holder will increase internal coordination and cohesion, attract, and retain talent, develop skills at all levels, drive large strategic research and innovation initiatives including plans for a National Institute for Quantum Integration and form stronger partnerships with academic, industrial and government stakeholders.

Informal enquires may be directed to Professor Miles Padgett FRS at miles.padgett at glasgow.ac.uk<https://my.corehr.com/pls/coreportal_uogp/miles.padgett@glasgow.ac.uk> .

We strongly endorse the principles of Athena SWAN, including a supportive and flexible working environment, with commitment from all levels of the organisation in promoting gender equity. The School of Physics and Astronomy is the proud holder of an Athena SWAN Silver Award. Interviewees will be eligible for carer's expenses, which will be covered by the School.

Prof. Stephen M. Barnett FRS FRSE (he/him/his)
Royal Society Research Professor and
Cargill Chair of Natural Philosophy
School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Glasgow