[quantum-info] Fwd: Postdoc and PhD positions

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Sat Sep 26 15:58:36 EDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Nicole Yunger Halpern <nicoleyh.11 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 3:50 PM
Subject: Postdoc and PhD positions
To: Daniel Gottesman <dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca>

Hi, Daniel,

I hope that this message finds you staying well and healthy. Would you
mind forwarding the advertisement below to PI’s quantum-information
group?

Many thanks, and see you at QuICS in a few months,

Nicole

Postdoc and PhD positions in quantum thermodynamics and information in
the group of Nicole Yunger Halpern

I welcome applications for two three-year postdoc positions and two
five-year PhD positions that will begin in Sept. 2021. My group will
be based at QuICS (the Joint Center for Quantum Information and
Computer Science) on the University of Maryland campus.

Mission: Thermodynamics emerged during the 1800s to describe large,
classical systems such as steam engines. Small and quantum systems
dominate much of today’s science, from quantum computers to molecules.
Nineteenth-century thermodynamics—including concepts such as heat
work, and efficiency—needs updating for the 21st century. We
re-envision thermodynamics using the mathematical tools of quantum
information theory. We then use quantum thermodynamics to gain a new
perspective on problems across science, including atomic, molecular,
and optical (AMO) physics; condensed matter; chemistry; high-energy
physics; and biology. My group is theoretical, collaborative, and
interdisciplinary. Our research ranges from abstract theory and
foundations to experimental collaborations and applications.

Environment: The U. of Maryland and the nearby National Institute of
Standards and Technology cover nearly all facets of quantum science:
many-body physics, computer science, experiments, high-energy theory,
etc. You’ll work in the midst of four vibrant quantum nexuses on the
U. of Maryland campus: QuICS, the JQI, the Condensed-Matter Theory
Center, and the Quantum Technology Center. My group also belongs to
IPST, which has a strong thermodynamic tradition, particularly in
fluctuation relations; hosts weekly statistical-mechanics seminars;
and supports interdisciplinary research.

The U. of Maryland is located in the Washington, D.C. area, which has
many museums, theaters, diverse cultural festivals, and trails for
running and biking. The area attracts visitors from around the world,
providing a stream of seminars and collaborators.

Application logistics for postdocs: Please email a cover letter, CV,
publication list, and research statement to nicoleyh.11 at gmail.com.
Please have three reference writers email letters separately. All
materials are due Dec. 1.

Postdoctoral candidates are encouraged to apply also for the Hartree
Fellowship, the JQI Fellowship, the NRC Fellowship (for US citizens),
and the U. of Maryland Theoretical Quantum-Optics Fellowship. These
applications have their own deadlines; please contact me before
applying.

Application logistics for students: Students need to apply for
admission to the PhD program of the U. of Maryland Dept. of Physics by
Dec. 11. Successful students will be considered for internal
fellowships automatically. Please email a copy of all application
materials to nicoleyh.11 at gmail.com, and please have reference writers
email their letters separately, by Dec. 11.

Numerical-simulation skills are appreciated, but not necessary, for
both sets of positions.

--

Nicole Yunger Halpern

ITAMP Postdoctoral Fellow
Harvard University Department of Physics
nicoleyh.11 at gmail.com