[quantum-info] Fwd: Postdoctoral positions at Sandia's Quantum Performance Lab

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Wed Sep 16 12:13:58 EDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sandia Quantum Performance Lab <qpl at sandia.gov>
Date: Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM
Subject: Postdoctoral positions at Sandia's Quantum Performance Lab
To: Blume-Kohout, Robin J <rjblume at sandia.gov>, Young, Kevin <kyoung at sandia.gov>

Dear colleague,

I’m writing to ask for your help.  The Quantum Performance Lab at
Sandia National Labs is thriving and expanding, and we’re looking to
hire several postdoctoral fellows.  These positions are for multiple
years, come with highly competitive salary, good benefits, and
Sandia’s commitment to a good work-life balance.  We have a lot to
offer, and we’re seeking diverse and high-quality candidates.  We’re
especially interested in bright, motivated PhDs who aren’t already
experts in QCVV or even quantum computing – if you know a smart string
theorist, computer scientist, mathematician, or AMO theorist (or many
other fields!) who wants a fast track into quantum computing, we’re
prepared to train them, and we’d like to hear from them.

We’d be very grateful if you could share our blurb below with any and
all who might be potentially interested!

Sincerely and best wishes,

Robin Blume-Kohout

Quantum Performance Lab @ Sandia

The Quantum Performance Laboratory at Sandia National Labs is hiring!
We have multiple postdoctoral fellowships open, for research on all
aspects of quantum computer performance.

With five permanent research staff, the QPL is a world leader in
quantum performance assessment. A multidisciplinary research and
development group within Sandia National Laboratories, we develop and
deploy cutting-edge techniques for assessing and improving the
performance of quantum computing hardware. We study — and create tools
for — benchmarking, QCVV (quantum characterization, verification, and
validation), algorithmic performance, tomography, error correction
performance, and rapid calibration of quantum computers and their
components. We interact and collaborate closely with an exceptionally
strong group of quantum computing researchers at Sandia, other DOE
laboratories, and U.S. universities. Postdocs in our group work at the
frontier of practical and theoretical quantum computing research,
publish widely, and have broad latitude to identify compelling
research problems, take leadership, and solve them.

We are looking for capable, motivated postdoctoral fellows from a wide
range of backgrounds, especially from underrepresented groups. We also
welcome applications from highly capable applicants whose PhD is not
specifically in quantum computing — we can and will train such
candidates and provide an entrée to the rapidly growing field of
quantum computing.

Anticipated salary is approximately $85,000, with small variations
possible for experience and geographic location. Sandia offers strong
medical and other benefits, an exceptional work/life balance, flexible
schedules and work locations, and generous vacation and family leave
benefits. Applicants should have a Ph.D. degree in physics, applied
mathematics, computer science or a related engineering or science
discipline obtained within the last five years, and research
experience as demonstrated by technical publications and/or
presentations.

To find out more or apply, see our webpage at
https://qpl.sandia.gov/jobs, email Robin Blume-Kohout
(rjblume at sandia.gov) and Kevin Young (kyoung at sandia.gov), or just

QPL Scientists:

Prof. Robin Blume-Kohout