[quantum-info] Graduate openings University of Calgary

Carlo Maria Scandolo carlomaria.scandolo at ucalgary.ca
Fri Dec 4 13:25:26 EST 2020

Dear all,
apologies for cross-posting.
Gilad Gour and I are looking for outstanding candidates for graduate
positions (MSc and PhD level) in our newly formed quantum information
group (after my recent faculty appointment) at the Department of
Mathematics & Statistics at the University of Calgary, Canada. Our group
works within the Institute for Quantum Science and Technologies
(directed by Barry Sanders), which is one of the top institutes for
quantum information in Canada.
Our research interests are in theoretical aspects of quantum
information, the quantification of quantum resources (such as
entanglement), quantum thermodynamics, quantum foundations and general
probabilistic theories.
Graduate positions are normally funded through teaching assistantship;
however, more competitive scholarships are also available. Applications
for math programs are preferred, however we can also offer supervision
for other programs. More information here: math MSc
<https://grad.ucalgary.ca/.../math-and-statistics-msc-thesis> and math
PhD <https://grad.ucalgary.ca/.../expl.../math-and-statistics-phd>. The
deadline for applications is on *15 January 2021*.

The University of Calgary is Canada's leading next-generation
university: a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces
change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's
most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on
its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five
research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and
fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The
University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and
innovation across all disciplines.
Finally, a few words on the city: Calgary has been on the top list of
the most livable cities in the world for years, and it is the most
livable city in North America. It boasts more days of sunshine per year
than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is also less than an hour's
drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains!

Best regards,

Carlo Maria Scandolo

--
Carlo Maria Scandolo, DPhil
Assistant professor of mathematical physics (tenure-track)