[Qnfcf-oxford-metalrie] New cleaning procedure for metal-RIE

Lino Eugene lino.eugene at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 31 12:15:59 EDT 2019

Dear users,

As continuous improvement, we have updated the cleaning procedure for metal-RIE. In addition to the O2/SF6 cleaning recipe, there are now SF6+O2/SF6 and Cl2/SF6 cleaning recipes as recommended per Oxford Instruments.

When BCl3 is the main etch gas, SF6 cleaning should be done first as oxygen will oxidize the coating on the chamber sidewalls and makes it harder to remove. When GaAs is etched, Cl2/SF6 cleaning is recommended.

Please find attached a table with all the OPT recipes available in the metal-RIE and the cleaning recipes to be used. This table is also attached to the tool. The name of cleaning recipes start with OPT - CLEAN for fast identification in the recipe list. If a recipe is not listed, let us know and we will update the table.

Hopefully, these modifications will improve process repeatability. Please let us know if you have questions.

Best,

Lino Eugene, P.Eng., Ph.D.,
Micro/nanofabrication process engineer
Quantum Nano-Fabrication and Characterization Facility
QNC 1611
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON, Canada