[Female-math-faculty] WiM presents: Talk by Prof. Donna Strickland, Nobel Laureate, Physics 2018

Ghazal Geshnizjani ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 23 09:48:44 EDT 2019

Dear Women in Math faculty,

We are excited to invite you to the following event. Note that the space is
limited so we are first advertising to WiM community before announcing it
publicly.

Women in Mathematics presents

Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 4:30 - 6 pm, QNC 0101
Prof. Donna Strickland

Nobel Laureate, Physics 2018

[image: Screenshot 2019-10-23 09.19.54.png]

Generating High-Intensity, Ultrashort Optical Pulses

With the invention of lasers, the intensity of a light wave was increased
by orders of magnitude over what had been achieved with a light bulb or
sunlight. This much higher intensity led to new phenomena being observed,
such as violet light coming out when red light went into the mate- rial.
After Gérard Mourou and I developed chirped pulse amplification, also
known as CPA, the intensity again in- creased by more than a factor of
1,000 and it once again made new types of interactions possible between
light and matter. We developed a laser that could deliver short pulses of
light that knocked the electrons off their atoms. This new understanding of
laser-matter interactions, led to the development of new machining
techniques that are used in laser eye surgery or micromachining of glass
used in cell phones.

People of all genders are welcome.

Refreshments start at 4:30pm, Talk starts at 5pm.
Registration at
https://www.ticketfi.com/event/3484/wim-presents-professor-donna-strickland

Space is limited so registration will be on a *first-come-first-serve *basis.

best wishes,
-----------------------------
Ghazal Geshnizjani
Research Associate Professor
Women in Math Committee Chair <https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/>
Department of Applied Mathematics
<https://uwaterloo.ca/applied-mathematics/>
Waterloo Centre for Astrophysics <https://uwaterloo.ca/astrophysics-centre/>

University of Waterloo, Office: MC 6449   Email: ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Phone: 519 888 4567 X 39146

Affiliate and PSI Fellow,  Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics
<http://pitp.ca/>