[wics-announce] Upcoming WiCS Events (Board Games, Square Tech Workshop + more)

Women in Computer Science Announcements wics-announce at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 13 14:26:32 EDT 2016

Hi everyone!

I hope the spring term is going well so far! Here's a list of events and
announcements coming up over the next month that you might be interested in:
1. Board Games Night
2. Becoming OK with HTTP with Square
3. Geek Girls Dinner
4. Call for directors for Future Female Techmakers Conference
5. WiCS-GHC application
Scroll down to read more below.

*Board Games Night*
*Thursday May 19th, 5 to 6:30 pm, Math CnD (Third Floor MC)*
Come out for a night of board games and fun to relax and hang out with
other women in CS before midterms come around.
Food will be provided! There will be vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free
options.
*Note*: This is a women-only event <http://wics.uwaterloo.ca/faq/>.

*Becoming OK with Okhttp
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/square-tech-workshop-becoming-ok-with-okhttp-tickets-25360009471>*
*Wednesday May 25th, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m, STC 0010*
Square is hosting a technical workshop! Join us to learn about their open
source software and get a chance to talk with some of their software
engineers. *You can register for the workshop here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/square-tech-workshop-becoming-ok-with-okhttp-tickets-25360009471>*
.
Food will be provided. (With vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options)
*Note: *This is a women-only event <http://wics.uwaterloo.ca/faq/>. *Attendance
is capped at 70*, so make sure to register early!

*Girl Geek May Dinner
<http://www.girlgeekskw.com/2016/04/may-dinner-data-science-and-the-data-cycle/>*
*Thursday May 19th, 6:00 pm, Accelerator Centre*
Each month the Girl Geek Waterloo Region <http://www.girlgeekskw.com/> hosts
a dinner with a tech theme. This month, the topic is Data Science and the
Data Cycle. Over 50% of seats are filled so if you're interested, register
soon!

*Big CSters Discussion Circles*
We're bringing back our discussion circles! There will be more information
on them closer to the event dates (in June). In the mean time, if there are
topics you'd be interested in discussing (or even hosting), feel free
to contact
us <wics-ugrad at lists.uwaterloo.ca>!

*Future Female Techmakers Conference
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NXORPVzNVdTCxC6Yn7yAgsFYaFpTXbs7rTEryJlAKHk/edit>*
Clarisse Schneider is looking for directors to be part of the organizing
team for the inaugural Future Female Techmakers Conference to be held in
March 2017. The application form can be found here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1p6jPYwucHMJ7M4Jg20UgqxDdIfmj0V7nV2ZVbtpuLss/viewform?c=0&w=1>
and is due *May 27th*.

*WiCS Grace Hopper Conference Scholarship*
WiCS has funding to send around 40 undergrad and graduate students to the Grace
Hopper Celebration <http://ghc.anitaborg.org/>, the largest women in
technology conference in Houston, Texas during this fall! Applications are
due on *May 24th*. Click here for the application form
<http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/urja/ghc/?kiosk_timeout=30>.

Have a great spring term and we hope to see you at these events! :)

Clare
Director of Publicity
Women in Computer Science Undergraduate Committee