[wics-announce] July Events & Announcements

Women in Computer Science Announcements wics-announce at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 13 21:47:05 EDT 2016

Hi everyone!

Wow, it's July already! We have a few opportunities and events planned for
you all just before the term ends:

1) Fall 2016 WiCS Committee Applications
2) Code Party
3) Sticker Designs
4) FemPhys: Feminism 101 Panel
5) Green House Social Impact Showcase
6) Shopify: Ladies Learning CODE Event

*1) Last call for Fall 2016 WiCS Undergrad Committee applications*
Applications for the Fall 2016 WiCS committee are due *this Friday at 5:00
p.m.*! It's a wonderful and rewarding experience, and you there's
opportunities to learn many things and develop leadership skills. No prior
experience is needed - just enthusiasm! :)

*2) WiCS Code Party*
*- When: Thursday, July 21st, 5-10 p.m.*
*- Where: TBA*

*- Who: This is a women-only <http://wics.uwaterloo.ca/faq/> event.*
WiCS is back with another end-of-term code party! It's a chance to work on
and share your projects with other women in CS. Or you can work on homework
and assignments with friends. That's cool too. :)
Bring your friends!
*Volunteer opportunities available - a separate email will be sent out
about it.*

*3) FemPhys: Feminism 101 Panel*
*- When: Tuesday, July 19th, 5-6 p.m.*
*- Where: PHYS 308*
*- Who: Everyone*
FemPhys is doing a panel as part of their FemTalks with FemPhys events on
feminism. Come with questions and an open mind, and learn in a safer and
knowledgeable space. Food will be provided!

*4) Last call for sticker designs*
WiCS is looking to expand their sticker collection! It's the *last call* for
submissions, so you can still submit a sticker idea for WiCS *until Monday
July 18th*, and we'll print and distribute them. It doesn't have to have
the WiCS logo on it-- all we ask is that they have a women in technology
theme and be inclusive towards the diversity of all women and non-binary
individuals. Specifically, *we ask that you do not include any faces* on
the sticker.

*5) Green House Social Impact Showcase*
*- When: Thursday, July 28, 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.*
*- Where: Alumni Hall, St. Paul's University College*
St. Paul's GreenHouse wants to invite you to the Summer 2016 Social Impact
Showcase, where they'll be celebrating the achievements of their GreenHouse
Fellows. These Big Ideas Challenge winners have made tremendous strides in
their entrepreneurial journey and will be sharing their progress. It's an
opportunity to engage with their social ventures and network with other
members of the social innovation community.
You can register for the event here:
https://spring2016showcase.eventbrite.ca

*6) Shopify: Ladies Learning CODE Event - Debugging the Gender Gap*
*- When: Wednesday, July 27, 5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. *
*- Where: 57 Erb Street West, Waterloo, ON N2L 6C2*
Shopify Plus will be holding a screening of CODE, followed by a panel
discussion with local women in tech from the KW region.
The CODE documentary exposes the dearth of American female and minority
software engineers and explores the reasons for this gender gap. CODE
raises the question: what would society gain from having more women and
minorities code? Watch the official trailer: http://www.codedoc.co/about/
<http://www.codedoc.co/about/%20>
You can register for the event here:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/shopify-plus-ladies-learning-code-present-code-debugging-the-gender-gap-tickets-25931552973

Have a great summer and rest of your term! :)

Clare
Director of Publicity
Women in Computer Science Undergrad Committee