[wics-announce] Escape Room with Airbnb | Stephanie Morillo Talk | Big Data Panel | Scholarship Oppurtunity

Women in Computer Science Announcements wics-announce at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 16 17:19:32 EST 2016

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a great reading break! With the last half of the term
approaching, WiCS has some great events and opportunities lined up. We hope
you can make it!

*1. Escape Room with Airbnb (this event has limited attendance so register
soon!)*

   - When: Tuesday, March 8, 5:00-7:30pm
   - Where: 283 Duke St. W, Kitchener ON
   - Facebook event <https://www.facebook.com/events/1691164004480344/>
   - Register here
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v7OqMeQ0QI6RHETIIEA7VgoUeUm3VT7m0QbP0fPUtQM/viewform>

Have you been wondering what those “escape room” things everyone’s been
talking about lately are? Come find out with WiCS and Airbnb! We’re going
out to Adventure Rooms Canada to try it for ourselves, and maybe beat a
record while we’re there.

*Content warning*: this event involves some activities that might be
disturbing for some people, including being handcuffed (for a short period
of time) and being in a small space with 15-20 other people.

Please note that this is a women-only event <http://wics.uwaterloo.ca/faq>.

*2. Big Data Panel*

   - When: Thursday, March 10, 5:00-7:30pm
   - Where: STC 0050
   - Who: Everybody!
   - Facebook event <https://www.facebook.com/events/1505171436456894/>

Our much anticipated Big Data Panel is finally here! Come out to hear about
the experiences of women working in the data world. Learn what Big Data
really is, and what kind of work exists in that space for you! We will be
taking questions from the audience at the end of the panel so bring any
that you have.

*3. **Stephanie Morillo Talk*

   - When: Monday, March 21, 6:00-7:30PM
   - Where: STC 0050
   - Who: Everybody!
   - Facebook event <https://www.facebook.com/events/234483563558753/>

WiCS Undergrad is proud to invite Stephanie Morillo as our out-of-town
speaker this term! Stephanie will be joining us on March 21st to give a
talk entitled: “Circuit Breaker: How My Love For Writing Brought Me To
Tech.”

Abstract: The road to a successful career in tech wasn’t forged back in
university; it was forged in my mid-twenties when I was unemployed and
learned to program on a friend’s couch. After spending my first
postgraduate years as a communications professional, I discovered the power
of programming and with it, the exciting and often frustrating realities of
working in tech: the ability to interact with people in the greater tech
community, the chance to get exposed to new technologies, and the dearth of
talent from underrepresented groups. In my talk, I’ll recount my journey
into tech, the observations I’ve made, and the lessons I’ve learned that I
wish I could tell my university-aged self about what it means to be
successful, and how to dismantle limiting beliefs before finding one’s
first job.

About Stephanie: Stephanie is a writer, technologist, and musician based in
the Bronx, who frequently writes and gives talks about class, race and the
tech industry. Check out her website <http://www.stephaniemorillo.com/> and
Twitter <https://twitter.com/radiomorillo>!

*4. GE Foundation Scholar Leaders Program (GEFSLP)*

Are you a first or second year female student studying Computer Science or
Engineering? Apply to GEFSLP by *March 15, 2016* by reading more/applying
here <http://scholarshipandmore.org/canada/apply/#who>!

The GEFSLP is more than just a scholarship, offering selected finalists the
following:

1) Scholarship funding of $3,000 CAD per year for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th
years of their undergraduate program
2) The opportunity to be mentored by a business leader at GE in Canada
3) Participation in a specially designed leadership development seminar
held over the summer at GE Canada in Mississauga, Ontario

We look forward to seeing you!

--

Jenny Sun
Director of Publicity