[wics-announce] WiCS Upcoming Events - Movie Night - De-stressing Discussion Circle - Github and Website Workshop - Tshirt Design

Women in Computer Science Announcements wics-announce at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 24 20:16:09 EST 2015

Hi everyone!

WiCS is excited to hold several exciting events within the next few weeks
and hopes that you can make it!

*1. WiCS and UWARC Movie Night*

*Where:* POETS, in CPH
*When:* Friday, February 27th, 7:00PM
*What:* Space Mutiny, a 1988 sci-fi movie

Come join us for a relaxing movie night at POETS! We will be watching the
Mystery Science Theatre version of Space Mutiny. Grab some popcorn and get
ready for the movie that was going to be the next Star Wars!

This will be a joint event held with the UW Amateur Radio Club. After the
movie, feel free to join the radio club as they try out some new equipment.

*2. Big CS-ter Discussion Circle:  De- stressing**Where:* M3 2134
*When:* Thursday, March 5th, 6:00 - 8:00PM

We're revamping Big CSters! Instead of traditional one-on-one mentorships,
Big CSters will be shifting to hosting discussion circles! The goal of
these discussion circles is to provide a casual environment for students to
meet and support one another while sharing a delicious meal. Every
discussion circle will have a theme, and this event's theme is de-stressing.

*3. Github and Website Workshop Hosted by WiCS*
*When:* March 7th 12-5pm
*RSVP: *There are limited spots available! Please fill out the following
form by *February 28th*. We will let you know if you've been selected
by March 3rd. http://goo.gl/forms/ybYZ4uL8Ld

Interested in learning about web design, creating your own personal
website, or learning about Github/git version control? Women in Computer
Science is holding a workshop for female students to design and build a
personal website and get familiar with Github. Come by for an afternoon of
learning, coding, and snacking. Walk away with your own website, hosted on
Github.
(Participants should have a basic knowledge of HTML/CSS before attending
the workshop)

And just a reminder that our T-shirt designing contest is still going on!

*4. T-Shirt Design Request*
We'll be ordering t-shirts at the end of the month and are looking for a
design for the shirt!
Please include the logo http://wics.uwaterloo.ca/images/logo.png, and send
your design to wics.ugrad at gmail.com by *March 1st*.
The person whose design is chosen will also receive a free t-shirt.
Note: We will be taking orders for shirts in the first week of March so get
pumped!

Good luck on your midterms! Hope to see you soon!
--
Women in Computer Science Undergraduate Committee
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science

*If you'd like more updates/information from WiCS:*
wics.uwaterloo.ca/ (you can view our calendar here! more events coming
soon)
facebook.com/groups/wicsUW/
twitter.com/wicsuw