[wics-announce] Join the WiCS undergrad committee!

Women in Computer Science Announcements wics-announce at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 25 10:15:48 EST 2014

Are you interested in getting involved with Women in Computer Science
(WiCS)?

Our undergraduate committee is currently looking for some awesome women,
varying from first years to seniors, to take on  the roles of Undergraduate
Representative and Big CSter/Little CSter Coordinator for the winter term.
If you are around for both winter and spring term that would be an extra
bonus!

*Undergraduate Representative *
You will be expected to dedicate around 4 hours of your week to a subset of
the following responsibilities:

   - Attending monthly WiCS committee meetings to share updates with the
   rest of the committee (grad students and faculty) and discuss university
   wide issues
   - Organize and attend biweekly WiCS undergrad committee meetings to
   update each other and discuss current and future events
   - Brainstorm, plan, and coordinate or run events, with the committee
   planning a total of 2-3 events per month (including public lectures,
   educational workshops, visits to companies in the area, public education on
   feminism, etc.)
   - Hold office hours in the WiCS office for students to hang out

We would like at least one member to be a voice for us on MathSoc, and one
member to be finance admin.

*Big CSters/Little CSters Coordinator*

> The Big CSters Mentorship Program is designed to help first year female
> Computer Science students with a smooth transition into university.
> First year students or "Little CSters" will be matched with senior
> students or "Big CSters" to talk about university life, the program, and
> more.
> Throughout the term, there will be social activities to meet new friends
> and discuss important topics.

You will be expected to dedicate 3-4 hours of your week to run the
mentorship program through the following responsibilities:

   - Sending out registration forms to accumulate data to match
   mentors/mentees
   - Put your full efforts into maximizing engagement and attendance
   - Brainstorm, plan, budget for, coordinate and run at least 1 event per
   month (meet and greet, board games, field trip - get creative!) -- find
   volunteers as needed to help you run your events
   - Attend WiCS undergrad committee meetings as necessary to update us on
   your events

These roles, if done well, will be time consuming.
These roles, if done well, will be extremely rewarding and exciting. You
will work with like-minded female CS students who are interested in
improving the social and working environment of the CS program, and helping
other female CS students to improve their technical and professional skill
set.

If you're interested, please email an application to
wics-ugrad at lists.uwaterloo.ca with the role you are interested in
fulfilling next semester (you can apply for both!) and why you are a good
fit.
This could include:

   - your leadership experience
   - events you've organized
   - skills you will bring to the committee
   - your commitment to supporting women and other minority groups in
   technology
   - please let us know if you will also be around for spring term

*Please note*: We are looking for students with varying levels of
experience! We do not necessarily expect you to be able to speak about all
of the above items - you will get a chance to develop these skills over the
term.

We're excited to create change with you!

----
Women in Computer Science Undergraduate Committee