[QuIN-Lab] Barcode Instructions

h4jones at uwaterloo.ca h4jones at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 15 15:14:16 EDT 2016

Dear All,

It will be useful to have everyone able to print barcodes for the lab,
and input them into the excel spreadsheet. Here are the instructions
(should work for both Microsoft and Mac, but not Linux):

     1. Go to
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=lpql710weus
     2. Choose your operating system and press search
     3. Download "Printer Driver" and "P-touch Editor 5.x"
     4. Install Printer Driver first, this step requires the printer
to be connected to your computer via USB (you also must manually power
on the printer)
     5. Restart computer if required by the installation
     6. Install P-touch Editor 5.x
     7. Again, restart computer if required by the installation
     8. Run P-touch Editor 5.x
     9. Use serial number (found on the bottom of the printer):
"U63226-H4Z251663" to register the product
     10. Download the excel spreadsheet and barcode layout files from
my OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApgNKMBQSod-i9g7cj0q9cNEtohjwg
     11. Open the "QuIN Lab Barcode.lbx" in P-touch Editor
     12. Open the "QuIN Lab Inventory.xls" in Excel (or program
supporting .xls files)
     13. Ensure that the number on the barcode to be printed is higher
than the last entry in the spreadsheet (for example, 00001175 in
spreadsheet is lower than 00001182 in the editor)
     14. Edit the text fields in P-touch Editor so that it reads KIMSU
or KIMUW, and a short description of the model name/equipment
     15. When you are ready, press print and a small box will appear
     16. Ensure that Output is Standard, "Auto Cut", "Cut at end" and
"Output Directly to Printer Driver" options are selected
     17. Set number of copies (this will print the same label with the
same barcode numbers multiple times)
     18. Make sure "Numbering" is checked, and set the count (this
will print the multiple labels with the same description and
increasing barcode numbers)
     19. Make sure that "Reset to Original Values after Printing" and
"Restart for Each Record" are both unchecked
     20. Press print and wait for the barcode to be printed (should be instant)
     21. Switch to the spreadsheet and enter in the information for
the item which was just barcoded (Barcode #, KIMSU/KIMUW, Detailed
Item Name, Permanent Location (where it is when not in use), Current
Location (where it is if being used/borrowed), Current User (N/A if
not in use), Current User Contact Information (Cell Phone/Email) (N/A
if not in use), Date and Time (corresponding to the last time the
entry was modified))

Since we currently do not have a Google Drive for the lab group, I am
going to be updating the excel/barcode files as soon as I am done
using them (so they should be up to date whenever someone goes to
download them). To double check if they are up to date you can send me
a quick email or text/call me at 289-338-6175.

As soon as you are done using them, please update the files on the
OneDrive shared folder (you should be able to, if there are problems
contact me).

When we have a Google Drive setup I will update the location of these
files and send out a quick email notice.

I have also attached the current instructions as a text file and
included this text file in the folder with the other necessary files.

Sincerely,
Hayden Jones