[quantum-info] FW: 2018 Quantum Science GRC/GRS - APPLY TODAY!

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Mar 19 11:05:16 EDT 2018

*From:* GRC Announcements [mailto:announcements at grc.org]
*Sent:* March-19-18 11:03 AM
*To:* alaporte at grc.org
*Cc:* goldman5 at umd.edu; echenteb at gmail.com; anamaria.rey at gmail.com
*Subject:* 2018 Quantum Science GRC/GRS - APPLY TODAY!

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the 2018 Gordon Research Conference (GRC)
on Quantum Science will be held from July 29 to August 8 at Stonehill
College in Eaton, Massachusetts. The focus of this year’s conference will
be to discuss the latest results in non-equilibrium quantum matter and
scalable quantum computing.

*Conference description:*

Non-equilibrium quantum many-body systems are fundamental in nature and of
interest in many fields in science ranging from physics, to chemistry, to
biology and ultimately, for the broadest possible scope, life itself. They
are the most powerful resources we have at hand for technological and
metrological advances with capabilities far beyond the one offered by
classical systems. However, the same quantum features that make of them an
untapped resource, make their description extremely complex and the most
powerful modern computers are frequently useless for simulating even
moderately-sized quantum systems. It is clear that to understand and use
their fascinating and non-trivial behavior we are in an urgent need to
develop new methodologies to control, manipulate, and understand
non-equilibrium quantum matter and ultimately create a general-purpose
quantum computer capable to efficiently simulate any process that occurs in
nature.

For more information about the GRC, please go to
https://www.grc.org/quantum-science-conference/2018/

*Gordon Research Seminar (GRS):*
To encourage the participation of junior scientists, a Gordon Conference
Seminar (GRS) for students and postdocs will be held on July 28-29, the
weekend before the GRC.  We anticipate that some financial support for
these researchers will be available. For more information about the event,
please go to https://www.grc.org/quantum-science-grs-conference/2018/.

*Applicant Deadlines:*

Applications for this meeting must be submitted by *June 30*. Please apply
early, as some meetings become oversubscribed before this deadline and
applications for oversubscribed meetings will only be considered if more
seats become available.  Please note that the deadline for applying to give
a talk at the GRS is *April 28*.

Best,

GRC Co-Chairs:

Ana Maria Rey, CU/Boulder

Andrew Houck, Princeton University

GRS Co-Chairs:

Mike Goldman, UMD/JQI

Edward Chen, HRL Laboratories

Follow GRC: Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/GordonResearchConferences/>
| Twitter <https://twitter.com/GordonConf/>

This email message from Gordon Research Conferences is intended only for
the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain
recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information
included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and
immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank
you.   ­­