[quantum-info] PiQuDos seminar Wednesday Jan 11 - Alvaro Martin Alhambra

Daniel Brod dbrod at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Jan 9 08:48:06 EST 2017

Dear all

Please join us on Wednesday, Jan 11 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by  Alvaro Alhambra

***

Title: Recovery maps in quantum thermodynamics

Abstract: A research line that has been very active recently in quantum
information is that of recoverability theorems. These, roughly speaking,
quantify how well can quantum information be restored after some general
CPTP map, through particular 'recovery maps'. In this talk, I will outline
what this line of work can teach us about quantum thermodynamics.
On one hand, dynamical semigroups describing thermalization, namely Davies
maps, have the curious property of being their own recovery map, as a
consequence of a condition named quantum detailed balance. For these maps,
we derive a tight bound relating the entropy production at time t with the
state of the system at time 2t, which puts a strong constraint on how
systems reach thermal equilibrium.
On the other hand, we also show how the Petz recovery map appears in the
derivation of quantum fluctuation theorems, as the reversed work-extraction
process. From this fact alone, we show how a number of useful expressions
follow. These include a generalization of the majorization conditions that
includes fluctuating work, Crooks and Jarzynski's theorems, and an integral
fluctuation theorem that can be thought of as the second law as an equality.