[quantum-info] PiQuDos seminar Wednesday Nov 9 - Juan Bermejo-Vega

Daniel Brod dbrod at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Nov 7 09:22:36 EST 2016

Dear all

Please join us on Wednesday, Nov 9 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Juan Bermejo-Vega.

***
Title: A toy theory of quantum speed-ups based on the stabilizer formalism

Abstract: A central question in quantum computation is to identify which
problems can be solved faster on a quantum computer. A Holy Grail of the
field would be to have a theory of quantum speed-ups that delineates the
physical mechanisms sustaining quantum speed-ups and helps in the design of
new quantum algorithms. In this talk, we present such a toy theory for the
study of a class of quantum algorithms for algebraic problems, including
Shor’s celebrated factoring algorithm. Our theory is an extension of
Gottesman’s stabilizer formalism based on elements of group and hypergroup
theory. Using our methods, we develop classical simulation algorithms for
Clifford-like circuits containing quantum Fourier transforms as well as new
quantum algorithms for hidden symmetries and hyper-symmertry problems.
During the talk, we will discuss the role of resources such as
entanglement, interference and contextuality within our formalism and
connect quantum speed-ups therein to the presence of precise algebraic
structures.

Based on the following works:

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1210.3637
[2] https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.3208