[quantum-info] FW: Workshop on quantum networks.

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Tue Jan 12 18:11:11 EST 2016

*From:* Antonio Acín [mailto:antonio.acin at icfo.es]
*Sent:* January-12-16 6:05 PM
*To:* Antonio Acín <antonio.acin at icfo.es>
*Subject:* Workshop on quantum networks.

Dear all,

we are organising a workshop on quantum networks sponsored by the
Foundational Questions Institute (FQXI) under the project "Quantum Bayesian
networks: the physics of nonlocal events”. The workshop will take place in
Barcelona from 30 March to 1 April.

Causality is a crucial concept for our understanding of nature. In
relativity, the objective properties of a system are dictated by the causal
relations between events in spacetime. While quantum mechanical predictions
comply with relativity, objective properties do not satisfy the same causal
relations—the phenomenon known as non-locality. Quantum mechanics is
consistent with special relativity at an operational level but appears to
violate it at an ontological level. This reveals a deep subtlety in the way
that quantum theory and relativity co-exist. Understanding this subtlety
will be crucial to understanding how physical theories lead to a notion of
things happening through the language of causality. The aim of the workshop
is to explore all these  different concepts, bringing together researchers
interested in causality within quantum physics.

There will be five invited speakers:

Jonathan Barrett

Cyril Branciard

Giulio Chiribella

Dominik Janzing

Rob Spekkens

In addition, we anticipate accepting *additional contributed talks and
posters.*

The workshop webpage is: http://qbnetworks.icfo.eu/ Registration and
abstract submission will be open soon.

We hope you find the workshop of your interest and are able to attend.

We look forward to meeting you in Barcelona!

Antonio Acin

Rafael Chaves

Matty Hoban

Raymond Lal