[quantum-info] Fwd: Workshop on "Quantum Bayesian networks", Natal (Brazil) 21 -25 November 2016

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Aug 1 16:22:16 EDT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rafael Chaves <rchaves at iip.ufrn.br>
Date: Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM
Subject: Workshop on "Quantum Bayesian networks", Natal (Brazil) 21
-25 November 2016
To: Antonio Acin <antonio.acin at icfo.es>, Matty Hoban <matthew.hoban at cs.ox.ac.uk>

Dear colleagues,

we are organising a new workshop on quantum networks sponsored by the
Foundational Questions Institute (FQXI) under the project "Quantum
Bayesian networks: the physics of nonlocal events”.

The workshop will take place at the International Institute of Physics
(http://www.iip.ufrn.br/) in Natal (Brazil) on 21 – 25 November 2016.

This will be the second in a series of three workshops, the first of
which took place in Barcelona (http://qbnetworks.icfo.eu/).

Causality is a crucial concept for our understanding of nature. In
relativity, the objective properties of a system are dictated by the
causal relations between events in spacetime.
While quantum mechanical predictions comply with relativity, objective
properties do not satisfy the same causal relations—the phenomenon
known as non-locality.
Quantum mechanics is consistent with special relativity at an
operational level but appears to violate it at an ontological level.
This reveals a deep subtlety in the way that quantum theory and
relativity co-exist. Understanding this subtlety will be crucial to
understanding how physical theories lead to a
notion of things happening through the language of causality. The aim
of the workshop is to explore all these  different concepts, bringing
together researchers interested in
causality within quantum physics.

At the moment we have six invited speakers but more are to be confirmed:

Caslav Brukner (University of Vienna)
Nicolas Brunner (University of Geneva)
Costantino Budroni (University of Siegen)
Daniel Cavalcanti (ICFO)
Miguel Navascues (IQOQI-Vienna)
Rafael Rabelo (UFMG)

In addition, we anticipate accepting additional contributed talks and posters.

The workshop webpage is: http://iip.ufrn.br/eventsdetail.php?inf===QTUVkM.

Registration and abstract submission are open.

We hope you find the workshop of your interest and are able to attend.

We look forward to meeting you in Natal!

Antonio Acin
Rafael Chaves
Matty Hoban