[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar Wed Sep 9: Curtis Asplund

Isaac Kim ikim at perimeterinstitute.ca
Tue Sep 8 09:43:59 EDT 2015

Please join us on Wednesday, Sep 9 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum information seminar by Curtis Asplund.

Title : Classical dynamics and the growth of entanglement entropy

Abstract: I will discuss the study of entanglement entropy dynamics using techniques from classical mechanics and dynamical systems, especially in the context of quantum systems that are classically chaotic. I’ll describe our recent analysis of two driven, coupled oscillators in arXiv:1503.04857 [hep-th]. We find that the entanglement entropy growth rate is the sum of the positive Lyapunov exponents, making a connection to the classical Kolmogorov-Sinai entropy. I’ll also show that this result is robust under changes of the factorization of the Hilbert space, i.e., different delineations of the system and environment. Our work, and much of it that I know of in the literature, is on fairly simple systems, so I will mention and hopefully get to discuss the many possible future directions and elaborations.