[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar Wed May 20: Lidia del Rio

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu May 14 23:55:33 EDT 2015

Please join us on Wednesday, May 20 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Lidia del Rio.

Resource theories of knowledge

Inspired by quantum information approaches to thermodynamics, we introduce
a general framework for resource theories, from the perspective of
subjective agents. First we formalize a way to think of subjective
knowledge through what we call specification spaces, where states of
knowledge (or specifications) are represented by sets whose elements are
the possible states of reality admitted by an observer. We explore how to
conciliate different views of reality via embeddings between specification
spaces. Then we introduce resource theories on specification spaces, which
are constructed from a set of allowed operations, imposing a pre-order
structure in the specification space. We see how to relate, combine and
create different resource theories. The local structure of a specification
space (which in quantum theory is given by tensoring different Hilbert
spaces) is not assumed a priori. Instead, we derive it operationally from
commutativity relations in the set of transformations. Further applications
are discussed.