[quantum-info] Joint PIQuDos / quantum gravity seminar on Thurs June 5: Ivette Fuentes [unusual location, date, time]

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri May 30 10:41:44 EDT 2014

Please join us on Thursday, June 5 at 4:30pm in the Bob room for a joint
quantum information and quantum gravity seminar by Ivette Fuentes.

Title:  *Quantum technologies as tools to deepen our understanding of
quantum theory and relativity*
Speaker:* Ivette Fuentes* (University of Nottingham)

Abstract: Quantum information and quantum metrology can be used to study
gravitational effects such as gravitational waves and the universality of
the equivalence principle. On one hand, the possibility of carrying out
experiments to probe gravity using quantum systems opens an avenue to
 deepen our understanding of the overlap of these theories. On the other
hand,  incorporating relativity in quantum technologies promises the
development of a new generation of relativistic quantum applications of
relevance in Earth-based and space-based setups. In this talk, I will
introduce a framework for the application of quantum information and
quantum metrology techniques to relativistic quantum fields.  I will show
how, using this framework, we have been able to develop an accelerometer
and a gravitational wave detector which exploit both quantum and
relativistic effects. Moreover, our framework can be used to estimate with
high precision spacetime parameters such as the Earth's Schwarzchild radius
and the gravitational constant.