[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar (unusual day!) on Mon May 12: Olivier Landon-Cardinal

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon May 5 14:11:23 EDT 2014

Please join us on Monday, May 12 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Olivier Landon-Cardinal.  (Note the unusual day!)

Title:  *The quest for self-correcting quantum memory*
Speaker: *Olivier Landon-Cardinal* (Caltech)

Abstract: A self-correcting quantum memory is a physical system whose
quantum state can be preserved over a long period of time without the need
for any external intervention.

The most promising candidates are topological quantum systems which would
protect information encoded in their degenerate groundspace while
interacting with a thermal environment. Many models have been suggested but
several approaches have been shown to fail due to no-go results of
increasingly general scope. In a nutshell, 2D topological models and many
3D topological models have point-like excitations which propagate freely
and change the groundstate at any non-zero temperature. A recent suggestion
is to introduce effective long-range interactions between those point-like
excitations.

In this presentation, I will first explain the desiderata for
self-correction, review the recent advances and no-go results, and describe
the current endeavours to define a self-correcting system in 2D and 3D.
Time permitting, I will briefly present our recent work on the thermal
instability of models which aim to introduce effective long-range
interactions between point-like excitations (joint work with Beni Yoshida,
John Preskill and David Poulin).