[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar on Wed April 2: Alex Arkhipov

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri Mar 28 11:22:43 EDT 2014

Please join us on Wednesday, April 2 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Alex Arkhipov.

Title:* Quantum Computing with Noninteracting Particles*
Speaker: *Alex Arkhipov* (MIT)

Abstract: We introduce an abstract model of computation corresponding
to an experiment
in which identical, non-interacting bosons are sent through a non-adaptive
linear circuit before being measured. We show that despite the very limited
nature of the model, an exact classical simulation would imply a collapse
of the polynomial hierarchy. Moreover, under plausible conjectures, a
"noisy" approximate simulation would do the same. This gives evidence that
quantum computers can sample a distribution that classical computers
cannot even
approximate, even when restricted to use no entanglement except that
arising from particles being identical. We briefly discuss experimental
prospects for realizing this model.

This talk is based on The Computational Complexity of Linear Optics [STOC
'11], which is joint work with Scott Aaronson.