[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar on Wed Mar 19: Roger Mong

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri Mar 14 01:37:36 EDT 2014

Please join us on Wednesday, March 19 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Roger Mong.

Title:  *Matrix Product States for the Fractional Quantum Hall Effect*
Speaker: *Roger Mong* (Caltech)

Abstract: The quantum Hall effect is an exotic phenomena found in nature.
 At fractional filling, these phases support fractional charge excitations
with anyonic braiding statistics, which may be suitable for topological
quantum computation.  I will discuss the recent progress on studying these
phases using matrix product states (MPSs) and the
density-matrix-renormalization group (DMRG) technique.  On one hand the MPS
structure for quantum Hall reveals deep connection between quantum
entanglement, conformal field theory, and topological field theory.
Pragmatically, an understanding of the MPS structure allows us to perform
efficient DMRG simulations for physical quantum Hall systems.  There, the
key advance is to reliably get the ground state wavefunction from a
microscopic Hamiltonian, and to be able to identify the braiding statistics
of the excitations solely from the ground state.  Finally, I will also
discuss various applications of these numerical methods.