[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar (unusual place!) Wed July 23: Barbara Terhal

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri Jul 18 13:07:43 EDT 2014

Please join us on Monday, July 23 at 4pm in the Space room for a quantum
information seminar by Barbara Terhal.

Title: * Space-Time Circuit-to-Hamiltonian construction and Its
Applications*
Speaker: *Barbara Terhal*

Abstract: The circuit-to-Hamiltonian construction translates a dynamics (a
quantum circuit and its output) into statics (the groundstate of a circuit
Hamiltonian) by explicitly defining a quantum register for a clock. The
standard Feynman-Kitaev construction uses one global clock for all qubits
while we consider a different construction in which a clock is assigned to
each point in space where a qubit of the quantum circuit resides. We show
how one can apply this construction to one-dimensional quantum circuits for
which the circuit Hamiltonian realizes the dynamics of a vibrating string.
We discuss how the construction can be used (1) in quantum complexity
theory to obtain new and stronger results in QMA and (2) how one can
realize, based on this construction, universal quantum adiabatic
computation and a universal quantum walk using a 2D interacting particle
Hamiltonian. See http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.6101