[quantum-info] [unusual date!] PIQuDos seminar on Thu Feb 06: Zhang Jiang

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu Jan 30 17:54:43 EST 2014

Please join us on Thursday, February 6 at 4pm in the Time room for a
quantum information seminar by Zhang Jiang.

Title: *Bosonic particle-correlated states*
Speaker: *Zhang Jiang* (University of New Mexico)

Abstract: Quantum many-body problems are notorious hard. This is partly
because the Hilbert space becomes exponentially big with the particle
number N.  While exact solutions are often considered intractable, numerous
approaches have been proposed using approximations. A common trait of these
approaches is to use an ansatz such that the number of parameters either
does not depend on N or is proportional to N, e.g., the matrix-product
state for spin lattices, the BCS wave function for superconductivity, the
Laughlin wave function for fractional quantum Hall effects, and the
Gross-Pitaecskii theory for BECs. Among them the product ansatz for BECs
has precisely predicted many useful properties of Bose gases at ultra-low
temperature. As particle-particle correlation becomes important, however,
it begins to fail. To capture the quantum correlations, we propose a new
set of states, which constitute a natural generalization of the
product-state ansatz. Our state of N=d x n identical particles is derived
by symmetrizing the n-fold product of a d-particle quantum state.  For
fixed d, the parameter space of our state does not grow with N.
Numerically, we show that our ansatz gives the right description for the
ground state and time evolution of the two-site Bose-Hubbard model.