[quantum-info] [This afternoon!] PIQuDos seminar on Thu Feb 13: Joshua Combes

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu Feb 13 11:30:37 EST 2014

Please join us *this afternoon*, Thursday, February 13 at 4pm in the Time
room for a quantum information seminar by Joshua Combes.

Title: *Probabilistic protocols in quantum information*
Speaker: *Joshua Combes* (University of New Mexico)

Abstract: Probabilistic protocols in quantum information are an attempt to
improve performance by occasionally reporting a better result than could be
expected from a deterministic protocol. Here we show that probabilistic
protocols can never improve performance beyond the quantum limits on the
corresponding deterministic protocol. To illustrate this result we examine
three common probabilistic protocols: probabilistic amplification, weak
value amplification, and probabilistic metrology. In each of these
protocols we show explicitly that the optimal deterministic protocol is
better than the corresponding probabilistic protocol when the probabilistic
nature of the protocol is correctly accounted for.