[quantum-info] Colloquium Institute for Quantum Computing Monday, 28 April, 2014

Matthew Fries mfries at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 27 03:05:05 EDT 2014

Colloquium

Institute for Quantum Computing

Monday, 28 April 2014 at 2:30PM

QNC 0101

Ultimate communication capacity of quantum optical channels

Raul Garcia-Patron

Max-Planck-Institut für Quantenoptik

Optical channels, such as fibers or free-space links, are ubiquitous in today's telecommunication networks. A complete physical model of these channels must necessarily take quantum effects into account in order to determine their ultimate performances. Specifically, Gaussian bosonic quantum channels have been extensively studied over the past decades given their importance for practical purposes. In spite of this, a longstanding conjecture on the optimality of Gaussian encoding has yet prevented finding their communication capacity. In this talk we will present a recent result that solves this conjecture and establishes the ultimate achievable bit rate under an energy constraint. We will conclude discussing further implications of our result.
Joint work with V. Giovannetti, N. J. Cerf and A. S. Holevo Reference: http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.6225