[quantum-info] Colloquium Institute for Quantum Computing Monday, 7 April, 2014

Matthew Fries mfries at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 7 03:39:12 EDT 2014

Colloquium

Institute for Quantum Computing

Monday, 7 April 2014 at 2:30PM

QNC 0101

Using dissipation for quantum information processing.

Fernando Pastawski

California Institute of Technology

In this talk I will focus on dissipative dynamics as a model for quantum information processing (QIP). Arguably, some form of open system description is required in order to model large experimental systems which inevitably exchange information with their environment. Lindblad master equations allow describing the effect of the environment to first non-trivial order. Within such a model, it becomes natural to design forms of dissipation, where the environment is engineered to aid or perform a QIP task. Quantum computation, quantum memory and quantum state engineering are examples of such tasks. I will present concrete protocol for these tasks and in doing so introduce some of the available tools to study convergence and stability of dissipative evolutions as well as illustrate advantages and disadvantages with respect to the unitary circuit model.