[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar on Wed April 9: Xiaotong Ni

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu Apr 3 11:38:32 EDT 2014

Please join us on Wednesday, April 9 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Xiaotong Ni.

Title: * A non-commuting stabilizer formalism*
Speaker: *Xiaotong Ni* (MPI for Quantum Optics)

Abstract: We propose a non-commutative extension of the Pauli
stabilizer formalism.
The aim is to describe a class of many-body quantum states which is richer
than the standard Pauli stabilizer states. In our framework, stabilizer
operators are tensor products of single-qubit operators drawn from the
group  {\alpha I, X,S}, where \alpha=e^{i\pi/4} and S=diag(1,i). We provide
techniques to
efficiently compute various properties, related to e.g. bipartite entanglement,
expectation values of local observables, preparation by means of quantum
circuits, parent Hamiltonians etc. We also highlight significant
differences compared to the Pauli stabilizer formalism. In particular we
give examples of states in our formalism which cannot arise in the Pauli
stabilizer formalism, such as topological models that supports non-abelian
anyons. This is a joint work with O. Buerschaper and M. van den Nest.