[quantum-info] IQC Monday, 23 September Colloquium - Dr. Isaac Kim

Matthew Fries mfries at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Sep 22 13:47:02 EDT 2013

An inequality between entanglement entropy and a number of encoded qubits

Dr. Isaac Kim

The Perimeter Institute

Entanglement entropy is a canonical measure for quantifying entanglement in a bipartite system. In this talk, I will show that a suitable linear combination of entanglement entropy gives a natural upper bound to the number of qubits that can be reliably encoded in a system. We discuss applications of this inequality to gapped quantum many-body systems that do not necessarily have a low-energy topological quantum field theory description, as well as tradeoff bounds for general quantum error correcting codes. Several open problems in this direction shall be discussed as well.

QNC 0101