[quantum-info] IQC Oct 28 Colloquium

Matthew Fries mfries at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Oct 28 09:19:03 EDT 2013

Colloquium

Institute for Quantum Computing

Monday, 28 October 2013 at 2:30PM

QNC 0101

Many-body entanglement and tensor network states

Guifre Vidal

The Perimeter Institute

Quantum many-body systems are hard to study because the associated Hilbert space, containing all possible many-body states, is huge: its dimension grows exponentially in the system size. In recent years, however, progress in our understanding of quantum entanglement has revealed that only a small region of this huge Hilbert space is actually relevant to the study of quantum many-body systems. Using tensor networks, we have then been able to efficiently describe some of the states in this small, physically relevant region of the many-body Hilbert space. In this Colloquium I will (i) review our current understanding of many-body entanglement, (ii) introduce tensor networks as an efficient description of many-body states, and (iii) give an overview of the main accomplishments of the tensor network program, as well as the challenges it currently faces.