[quantum-info] PI colloquium Wednesday

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Tue Nov 19 11:04:46 EST 2013

The PI colloquium tomorrow may be of interest to QI people:

Wednesday, Nov. 20th, 2013
at 2:00 p.m. in the Lazaridis Theatre
Colloquium - Light and matter: towards macroscopic quantum systems - with
Jacob Taylor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Advances in quantum engineering and material science are enabling new
approaches for building systems that behave quantum mechanically on long
time scales and large length scales.  I will discuss how microwave and
optical technologies in particular are leading to new domains of many-body
physics, both classical and quantum, using photons and phonons as the
constituent particles.  Furthermore, I will highlight practical
consequences of these advances, including improved force and acceleration
sensing, efficient signal transduction, and topologically robust photonic
circuits.  Finally, I will consider how such large quantum systems may
help us measure and constrain theories of quantum gravity and
gravity-induced decoherence.