[quantum-info] "Bonus" PIQuDos seminar on Mon, Nov 11: Gemma de las Cuevas

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Nov 4 16:38:51 EST 2013

Please join us on Monday, November 11 at 4pm in the Time room for a "bonus"
quantum information seminar by Gemma de las Cuevas.  ("Bonus" because
PIQuDos seminars typically occur on Wednesdays.)

Title: *A universal Hamiltonian simulator: the full characterization*
Speaker: *Gemma de las Cuevas* (Max-Planck-Institut for Quantum Optics)

Abstract:
We show that if the ground state energy problem of a classical spin model
is NP-hard, then there exists a choice parameters of the model such that
its low energy spectrum coincides with the spectrum of \emph{any} other
model, and, furthermore, the corresponding eigenstates match on a subset of
its spins. This implies that all spin physics, for example all possible
universality classes, arise in a single model. The latter property was
recently introduced and called ``Hamiltonian completeness'', and it was
shown that several different models had this property. We thus show that
Hamiltonian completeness is essentially equivalent to the more familiar
complexity-theoretic notion of NP-completeness. Additionally, we also show
that Hamiltonian completeness implies that the partition functions are the
same. These results allow us to prove that the 2D Ising model with fields
is Hamiltonian complete, which is substantially simpler than the previous
examples of complete Hamiltonians.  Joint work with Toby Cubitt.

Date: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 4:00 pm
Location: Time Room (294)

-Gus