[quantum-info] IQC Seminar Thursday, May 30th, Alexandre Cooper-Roy

Bronwyn Greavette bgreavet at uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 30 11:00:13 EDT 2013

IQC Seminar

Monday, 30 May 2013 at 2:00 PM
QNC 1201

Speaker:
Alexandre Cooper-Roy
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Title:
Time-resolved magnetic sensing with electronic spins in diamond

Abstract:
Quantum probes enable the sensitive detection of time-varying fields with nanometer spatial
resolution. In particular, nitrogen-vacancy (NV) centers in diamond have recently emerged as
promising sensors of magnetic and electric fields. Although coherent control techniques
have measured the amplitude of constant or oscillating fields, these techniques are unable to measure
fields with unknown dynamics. Here we introduce a novel approach to accurately reconstruct the
arbitrary profile of time-varying fields using coherent control sequences associated with the Walsh
functions . These sequences act as digital filters that efficiently extract information about the
field dynamics while suppressing decoherence. We experimentally demonstrate our approach by
performing proof-of-principle reconstruction of the magnetic field radiated by a physical model of a
neuron using a single electronic spin in diamond. These results will be useful for performing time-resolved
magnetic sensing with quantum probes in a broad array of physical and biological systems