[quantum-info] Q+ Hangout, Monday May 27 - David Poulin

Aharon Brodutch cap.fwiffo at gmail.com
Tue May 21 14:32:26 EDT 2013

Hi all
 Next week Monday we will be joining the Q+ Hangout at the IQC video
conference room QNC:B201

Monday May 27 10am, QNC:B201

Speaker:David Poulin (Université de Sherbrooke)

 Title: Tradeoffs Between Thermal and Quantum Fluctuations in 2D Quantum
Memories

Abstract:
Under a certain set of conditions collectively known as "local topological
order", the low energy spectrum of a system is robust to local
perturbations. This has the consequence that quantum information encoded in
the degenerate ground state of such a system is stable at zero temperature.
On the other hand, the existence of a macroscopic energy barrier between
ground states imply that information encoded in the low energy manifold is
robust against thermal fluctuations. Here, we demonstrate that for local
commuting projector codes, local topological order prohibits the existence
of an energy barrier, which shows a tradeoff between robustness to quantum
and thermal fluctuations.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/comhahfr99f5v6a73ku729c8ku8

Cheers
  Aharon