[quantum-info] IQC Colloquium Monday, June 24th, Rolando Somma

Bronwyn Greavette bgreavet at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Jun 23 14:00:20 EDT 2013

Institute for Quantum Computing Colloquium

Monday, 24 June 2013 at 2:30PM
QNC 0101

Title:
Security of Quantum Communication Networks: Beyond QKD

Speaker:
Rolando Somma
Los Alamos National Laboratory

Abstract:

The security of quantum cryptography (QC) is rooted in the laws of physics
and is not tied to computational complexity assumptions, avoiding the
security challenges faced by conventional cryptography. To be useful, QC
has to evolve away from the current point-to-point instantiations as in
quantum key distribution networks. In this talk, I will briefly review the
`network centric quantum communications' project at Los Alamos. In
particular, I will describe some cryptographic primitives beyond quantum
key distribution (QKD), explain their relevance in communication networks,
and analyze what can go wrong (and how to fix it) in imperfect
implementations.