[quantum-info] IQC Colloquium Monday, July 29th, Volkher Scholz

Bronwyn Greavette bgreavet at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 29 09:00:20 EDT 2013

Institute for Quantum Computing Colloquium

Monday, July 29, 2013 at 2:30 p.m.
QNC 1501

Title:
Entropy on quantum system with infinitely many degrees of freedom and their applications

Speaker:
Volkher Scholz
Institute for Theoretical Physics ETH Zurich

Abstract:
We discuss information theoretic concepts for physical systems with infinitely many degrees of freedom. These systems are modelled as algebras of operators acting on Hilbert spaces, and their properties require an extension of the usual formalism of quantum information theory. We start by considering entropic measures, especially one-shot measures based on operational primitives and show how these primitives can be extended to cover the infinite-dimensional case. We next consider entropic uncertainty relations against any kind of quantum side information, both for discrete as well as for continuous outcome measurements, and sketch how our results can be used to provide a rigorous security analysis for quantum key distribution protocols using entangled modes of light.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS SEMINAR WILL BE HELD IN QNC 1501.